Summer is here and I am collaborating with Miranti Gumayana @si_mir to make RUJAK BUAH together at Instagram. Rujak Buah ((buah is fruit in Indonesian) is an Indonesian fruit salad consisting of a delicious combo of spicy, sour, and sweet sensation. It is a great appetizer/side dish to accompany your BBQ. Here is the recipe.
You can use any kind of fruits however we would recommend these fruits:
- 1 cup of cut granny smith apples
- 1 cup of cut pineapple
- 1 cup of cut watermelon
- 1 cup of cut mango
Ingredients for the sauce
- 6 tbsp of palm/coconut sugar (I got mine at Trader Joe's)
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp tamarind paste or 4 tsp apple cider vinegar - note: i use 1/2 tbsp of fresh tamarind pulp, soaked in 1 tbsp hot water, then strained well thru a sieve
- 1-2 medium red chilies or 1/4 of jalapeno (optional, for spicy taste)
- Half a pack of 1.76 oz nuts+nuts chili lime cashews
- Cut fruits to bite size, place in serving glass/bowl, chill in fridge.
- Dissolve palm sugar with 2 tbsp hot water, stir until smooth.
- Put all ingredients in a food processor for a couple of seconds. The consistency should be kind of chunky.
- Adjust sugar/salt/tamarind or apple cider vinegar to your taste.
- Drizzle over chilled cut fruits & serve immediately.